Monday, June 16, 2008

For All Those Union Folks Out There....

TheDayAfter
TheDayOfTheFathersVille



First there was Mary's, then late last night I received a great comment from Gary E. in response to my Father's Day story yesterday.

Gary's is great.

And it's slightly different because it comes from the perspective of somebody who, like my Dad, knows the difference that unions made in their lives and the lives of their families.

Here goes......


Ross


I just got home from a family thingy with the bride, her family, and our new daughter Mack E. It was a pretty good get together with four generations of women (on Fathers Day of all things).

I usually read all the main sites about politics and what is happening to our province these day, but I was totally taken aback with your piece on your father.

You see like him, I spent most of my working life in unions. Always championing rights of all workers and especially the safety things.

So it was with great admiration that I read that you "got it".

It made my day knowing that out there, there is one son who realizes what his father went through. And I know there are many more. There were (and still are) many of us who got involved in this way.


And just by way of a reminder to some who may want to bash unions: before unions there were no holidays; there was no safety; there was no 40 hour week; there was no medical or dental.

And the list goes on.


You bet Gary, sure does.

Thanks.



_____
Just as an aside, I am not now officially in a 'union' but in reality I am. And that group of folks does a heckuva lot for my colleagues and me. Funny, though, how a great many of those colleagues don't realize this and thus take our 'association' for granted (at best) or are utterly derisive (at worst).

.

No comments: