Sunday, February 18, 2007

Ms. Reimer Weighs In

PowerToThePeople
GreenVille

Our favorite former Vancouver School Board Trustee, Green Activist, and GoreTrain Rider, Andrea Reimer, has posted- up her feelings on British Columbia's speech vert from the throne last week:

On the plus side, of the two thousand some odd generations that have walked the Earth in 50,000 years of civilization, how many have gotten to live through the broad scale paradigm shift we are standing in the eye of right now? A case in point was the BC government's throne speech -- incidentally possibly also the longest throne speech in 50,000 years of history -- last Tuesday. If someone had told me a year ago even one sentence of the section on climate change would be spoken in our legislature, I would have told them it was impossible. It's a satisfying thing to see a government change its mind, but it's a beautiful thing to see a government change its heart.


Fine words indeed.

However, after being momentarily swept off my feet by the words delivered by Lieutenant Governor Iona Campagnolo myself, I have since had time to think this thing through.

And this has led me to temper my feelings a wee bit.

Thus, I felt compelled to leave this comment over at Ms. Reimer's place:

Me, I'm cautiously optimistic - but a really long throne speech is not enough to convince me that both the heart and mind has changed.

The proof will be in the action that follows all the talk.

And if the required action does not occur, that would be worth less than zero.

Way less.

OK?


So, there you are.

I sure hope that will be enough of a realistic mama-half-a-mea culpa to stop almost all my friends and uncles I have been doing my utmost to influence, both on and offline, of accusing me of being bamboozled by Gordon's little two-step with the Gropinator.

_____
And one more thing......After last year's throne speech I unfairly slagged the L.G. for words that were clearly not her own. And for that I suffered the rightful wrath of one of my other most favorite Green bloggers, her daughter Jennifer. I'd like to think that, while they were not her words this time around either, that Ms C. the elder enjoyed reading them a whole lot more because I'm pretty sure that Ms. C. the younger sure liked hearing them.

.

No comments: