Monday, September 02, 2024

A Reminder Of What This Holiday Is All About.


WorkingForThe
UnionVille


I honestly can't remember how I stumbled across Ellen Bloom's blog many years ago.

Especially because it is decidedly apolitical. Essentially, Ellen roam's Los Angeles and takes pictures. When she's not doing that she digs up historical pictures and vignettes. Or she tells stories about her family and its history.

None of those individual topics really give me a charge on their own, but I get such a kick out of Ellen's enthusiasm, photographic skills, and charm that I always look forward to her next post.

Today's post, honouring Labour Day, is just a wee bit different. I was particularly struck by this bit:

...I spent over 45 years in the work force. Some of that time was spent as a union member, working at various movie studios throughout Los Angeles. Today, I am reaping the benefits of full-time, corporate employment thanks to the labor movement's accomplishments over the years for equal rights, better working conditions and equal pay. Thank you...


Well said, no?

_____
I just remembered the 'how'....Ukulele Uber Alles!


.

7 comments:

zoombats said...

YOU CAN'T SCARE ME I'M STICKING TO THE UNION UNTIL THE DAY I DIE

RossK said...

ZB --

Yes, indeedy!

.

GarFish said...

Thanks for the earworm... I remember when CKLG went on strike, and this played on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56IicSNuEY

Anonymous said...

I worked for two union companies before becoming self employed.
I retained my union membership , operating engineers, and payed both the employer contributions and employee contributions .
Many years ago i finally had some true and honest financial advise when my adviser told me that my union pension contributions were way out performing my RRSP's!
I moved much of my RRSP's to my union pension contributions and the rest is happiness..
A good union job cannot be bettered, even in my odd affiliation!

TB

Anonymous said...

That financial advisor was honest and doing his job properly, in my opinion.
Most ‘financial advisors’ are in the game for themselves only, as they follow their company rule of sell, sell and sell. DF

Anonymous said...

The honest financial adviser was a friend and her advise improved my retirement situation.
Canada's 'financial advisers ' are allowed to charge fees way above their US an UK counterparts!
It's the old pay yourself first syndrome.
TB

Grant G said...

A Good evening to all....

Well folks....Trump has snapped....Don't think he's going to make it to election day...

This was inevitable, ....Trump knows he can't win...Now comes the Trump terrorism...

Hope you enjoy the read(and the videos),,prepare to be shocked at the Trump utterances..

https://powellriverpersuader.blogspot.com/2024/09/trump-has-reached-new-level-of-insanity.html

Thanks Mr. K