Tuesday, September 21, 2004

She's On Our Side

49°15'N, 123°08'W

In this, the time of the Great Dismantling, it's good to know that someone out there is sticking up for the little guy.

In this case, the person taking it to the Greedheads on their home turf is a woman named Andrea Reimer who is the first Green Party member ever elected to the Vancouver School Board.

Lucky for us Ms. Reimer also blogs, and she doesn't pull punches. Here are a couple of excerpts from her latest post:

".....It (a fund-raising speech by John Ralston Saul) rang a particularly strong chord with me: as a young mother I grit my teeth at the audacious argument put forward by those middle-aged folks that benefited from the best funded social system on earth that now that they have got theirs, they want to get out of paying taxes for other people to have the same. The crowd loved it although I dare say the moderator, Patricia Graham from the Vancouver Sun, looked a little strained......."

".....Generally I try hard not to look gift horses in the mouth....but at the same time I think you have to call a spade, a spade. The latest funding announcements from the province look alot more like a public relations exercise than a legitimate attempt to restore needed dollars to education. But the issue has obviously struck a chord. Using opportunities to speak out about real dollars lost and real services being cut could help...."


See what I mean.

She's a Scrapper alright.

And I, for one, am glad she's on our side.

No comments: