Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Who Am I, Anyway?

KarmaKarmaKarmaKarmaDharmaChameleon
ItComesAndGoesVille


These are not the best of days to be a science geek who also teaches for a living.

Deadlines of all manner and type are fast approaching.

And then there is this small matter of all these students everywhere.

And even worse, yesterday, a data cluster turned from something that was supposed to be crisp and clean into a mass of soggy, rotten, stinking backbacon just as a grant application was about to be submitted.

You get the idea.

Anyway, this morning I'm standing in a very long line at the 'Beans Around the World' place located on outer 10th and I'm speed reading the shop's copy of the Globe and (nolonger) Empire Mail when I come across two rather bizarrely juxtaposed front page stories. One is about how millions have been duped by a PR firm's subterfuge that had them thinking a carefully crafted promotion campaign spread virally via 'You Tube' was actually the work of an shty and innocent 16 year old girl. The other story was about a whacked out Republican congress-critter who has decided that his path to re-election is straight down a 12,000 National Guardsmen strong border fortification......with Canada.

Suddenly, in my sleep-deprived, caffeine hangover-induced daze I started to wonder......

Who the heck am I?

Am I really a middle-aged, not-quite activist, actually academic with a penchant for digressive wordsmithing and a wife and kids?

Or.

Am I in truth a bongo-playing, former Moxy Fruvous roadie who mules hundreds and hundreds of pounds of not quite contraband cheese and old, but highly servicable, Stompin' Tom albums back and forth across the 49th parallel everyday on a, oh, I dunno, bilingual Llama named Pierre with bells on its feet?


_____
*Then, just as suddenly I snapped out of it and finished riding into work.

.

No comments: