Monday, December 18, 2017

The Advent Jukebox, Day 18....White Christmas




After last week's October and yesterday's rain it looks like we might get a little bit of snow this week in Lotusland.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if it started tonight seeing as we're going to Stanley Park to ride the train with one of the wee ones in our extended family.

But if it doesn't snow at all over the holidays I won't really mind because, unlike Irving Berlin in 1937 (when he wrote the first draft of White Christmas while staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel), I won't be alone this time next week.

Which isn't to say that I'll be doing anything crazy like, say, playing touch football with a side of cream 'em on Boxing Day with my Dad and my brothers at Windsor Park in Victoria.

Why?

Because those days are over.

Instead, I'll probably take a break from the festivities and haul my turkey-laden belly, my dog, and the beach guitar down to the water for a walk and a strum.

****

Here's hoping that you all are getting ready for, and looking forward to, all that is on its way over the next week or so.

And here's my version of Mr. Berlin's classic, sans the first verse that nobody ever sings....



______
What's that missing first verse all about?...Well, you can find out here (scroll down past the player).
Image at the top of the post is Mr. Berlin at his piano in 1938.


.

7 comments:

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Looking forward to this Christmas more than any since my table top hockey set days. Lucky for me the sawmill will shut down (and freeze up) for a spell.

RossK said...

No Mexico trip this year?

.

RossK said...

If I remember correctly, our game's Leafs team had five Dave Keons.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

S. Experiencing health concerns related to your research.

RossK said...

Sorry to hear that.

Let me know if I can help you out with any translations, etc.


.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

Hardly necessary as it has been a 40 month long trip thus far. Your research is appreciated all the more; the results sampled perhaps. S. is set, for what I hope will be yet another memorable Christmas. My favourite Christmas song, by far, is Stan Roger’s “First Christmas (Away From Home).

RossK said...

Ahhhhh....good.

Will work on the tune.



.