Friday, October 09, 2020

Your Morning Audio...Open All Night.

Interchangeable
ImagineeringVille


Recently, I fell into Springsteen's compendium of outtakes called 'Tracks and I couldn't get out.

Released in 1998,  it's a sixty-six song grab bag of everything you could possibly imagine, much of it curious to the obsessed, some of it dross, a little of it inspired, and it even has a surprise or two.

One of the suprises is 'Living On The Edge Of The World' which was recorded during  'The River' sessions in 1979. 

Sonically and melodically, 'Living on the Edge' is a rave-up that borrows heavily from Sonny Curtis' 'I Fought The Law' that others, starting with Bobby Fuller, made famous 15 years before every single punk band in the world incessantly inserted it into their setlist.

Lyrically, ''Living' is pretty much stream of consciousness that flies by, rapid fire.

I fact, the images come and go so quickly that it took me a couple of verses before I realized that the tune was actually released, stripped down, linearized, and turned evocative, as 'Open All Night' on Nebraska in 1982.

Nebraska was then, still is now, and forever will be, my favourite Springsteen album of all time.

And, as proof, I offer up the fact that I first learned to play 'Open',  cowboy chord style, in a little log cabin on the edge of a lake in the Sooke Hill woods in the summer of 1983.

Of course, the imagery that surrounds you in the Sooke Hills is the exact opposite of that which rolls on by, non-stop and linear, on 'Drive All Night'.

And both have stuck with me for almost 40 years now.

Imagine that!




______
It's also striking how much 'Living On The Edge Of The World'' has in common sonically, lyrically and thematically with that very famous and somewhat similarly named REM tune which was released five years after 'Nebraska'...In a most interesting twist, however, Peter Buck has said that 'It's The End of The World' actually borrows heavily from Mr. Dylan's 'Subterranean Home Sick Blues'.... 
Update: Reader B.a.D. sent a message off-line to give a hard time for ripping off  Eddie Vedder's version...At least the front end of the thing....Oh boy....And, if you want a great 'I saw Bruce when...' story, check out Mike's tale in the comments!.


.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been unlucky in love, and have never bought a winning lottery ticket; but music always treated me well:

- caught the Velvet Underground at the late, lamented Retinal Circus back in the late 60's...maybe 250 people there
- saw Pink Floyd at the PNE Gardens Auditorium a little later...maybe 400 people? The sound was ethereal and wonderful for that time; only probelm was the drunk guy a few seats behind me that kept shouting "Let's BOOGIE" after every song (fyi, not the kind of thing you say at that kind of concert; his girlfriend threw up on me halfway thru, and they left to get her home)
-saw Springsteen in Seattle in the mid 70's; small bar down by the Kingdome, local garage band on the stage. Bruce walked in alone, asked the band if he could join them, and ended up staying onstage for @ 3hrs. A mesmerizing time. He played WITH them rather than hogging the stage; did a lot of 60's rock n'roll and a few of his own songs; just great to see him interact with a band he'd probably never see again. I gained a rack of respect for him that nite.

Wild, Innocent & E-Street Shuffle is my fave album of his, Nebraska second or third

Good memories!
Mike

RossK said...

Holy moly Mike...

That night in the bar though!

Wild is my 2nd favourite....I've been determined to record a cover of NYC Serenade for months now but keep chickening out because I haven't yet figured a way around the vocal gymnastics.


.

Anonymous said...

Not as big at the time as it became later, Ross. Springsteen's only albums at the time were Greetings From Asbury Park (which was an overproduced, badly mixed mess IMO) and Wild Innocent which has only recently appeared; so his reputation was minimal. I might have been one of the few in the pub that actually recognized him. Far from the superstar he became after Born To Run hit. Still, amazing to see a star in the "Days Before" and truly wonderful to see the way he just integrated and played with some local nobodies. Truly a great evening.

Looking forward to your NY Serenade. Maybe do Wild Billy's Circus Story too (if you can round up a tubist!)

Mike

RossK said...

I first heard the early Springsteen tunes, live, played by a travelling gypsy/hippy outfit in Mother's Disco in Market Square in Victoria...I had just bought Darkness and had Run, but had never bought the earlier albums...Kitty's Back broke my brain.

I blame he problems with Greetings on John Hammond.

Pretty sure have already done Wild Billy with a harmonica...Will see if I can find it.


.

Glen Clark said...

completely unrelated! I was once interviewed by the NOW newspaper in Toronto by Andrew Cash. He spent most of the day following me around. Spoke to Osgoode Hall law school about indigenous rights in Canada. I didn't know Andrew- didn't know he was an NDP supporter (who would later be elected as an MP) and didn't know he was a singer and member of the Skydiggers. After I got back to Victoria he sent me a CD he had recently completed with his brothers. On the CD is a beautiful song that is about listening to a Springsteen song. Love this tune.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pycuwh1p4oo

RossK said...

Not unrelated at all Mr C...

Didn't know about this one...Not just Springsteen, it's actually ostensibly about driving around and listening to Nebraska...More fantastical imagineering ensues!

Thanks.


.