Thursday, January 26, 2012

Chain, Chain, Chain....

AllTheWordsmithingThatFits
BloggodomeTelephoneVille


It started with a comment from our good friend Santa Rosa Jon over at Beer's place:

"In one year when I was at US Steel I think six or seven people got killed on the job. I mean in my one location. It used to be that you at least made decent money doing dangerous work. Nowadays they expect you to die for chump change. When my grandfather was an iron worker in New York unemployed iron workers would hang out at job sites and wait for someone to fall to his death. Welcome to the good old days."



Which was turned into a poem by Mr. Beer 'N Hockey:

In one year
When I was at US Steel
I think six or seven people
Got killed on the job.

I mean in my one location.

It used to be
That you at least
Made decent money
Doing dangerous work.

Nowadays
They expect you
To die
For chump change.

When my grandfather
Was an ironworker in
New York
Unemployed ironworkers
Would hang out at job sites
And wait for someone
To fall to his death.

Welcome to the good old days.



Which elicited another comment from Jon:


"Shit, between you and RossK I might have to start writing again.

I am really sorry to read about what happened at Burns Lake. My condolences."


****

Now.

You think I'm just gonna let that lay there, unanswered?

Of course not.

So, here's hoping I have the tune done and posted in time for the upcoming Sudbury 'N Santa Rosa Saturday night that Beer is already preparing for.



_______
By way of warning....I did this once before, sort of.....But that time they were Beer's own words I mangled musically.


.

2 comments:

Your driver said...

I can't wait!

RossK said...

Thursday night update...

Got the melody...Not on purpose, but seems to have a bit of a 'Southern Man' kind of progression, although in a different key.

Will begin recording tomorrow.