Monday, June 30, 2014

This Day In Snookland...All Your (Raw) Logs 'R Us.

ShipALog
LoseAJobVille


Here is something that our friend and musical compatriot (and mill worker) Mr. Beer 'N Hockey wrote about the boom in raw log exports from British Columbia awhile back:

I bought the Sunday Province yesterday. For a change it was worth the smash I paid for it. I read something in there. Read something I was going to write about yesterday but I did not. I decided maybe I better let myself cool down a little first. Did not want to write anything that I might be sorry I wrote later.

40% of the trees logged on my province's coast in the first half of this year were exported as raw logs.

40%.

The mother*&%#ing, #*%$*king, *%&^#king, sh*&%#ks who are responsible for this have pushed me over the edge. What kind of a bunch of a##holes would sell out their countrymen like that? God damn traitors. Mother*%$#ers would cause less damage to the B.C. economy if they flew a couple jets into Dope City's two tallest buildings.

F*^#sh*#s.

F*%# am I pissed.



(all edits, above, mine...But feel free to go and read the raw, unprocessed, lignin-laden hard stuff at Beer's place)


****

Now.

Of course the shipping out of all that raw, unprocessed and unrefined, material is a real travesty.

But, presumably we at least get our cut of the revenue when it happens.

Right?

Well...

Perhaps not.

The following is a recent report by Josh Massey in the Terrace Standard:

YaoRun Wood, a Chinese log export company that has been dealing millions of dollars of wood out of Terrace, has had its log piles seized for a third time in under a year because of suspicion it is altering log marks.

Previous seizures took place because YaoRun had fallen behind on its stumpage payments to the provincial government....



Third time lucky, eh?


________
So, why would a company just keep on keepin' on with behaviour like this?...Well, one possibility is the fact that, according to Mr. Massey's piece at least, it would appear that 'fines' (i.e. making the perpetrators pay) are not an enforcement option....Sheesh.

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marinetraffic.com zoom
in on duke point south of Nanaino also.

Mr. Beer N. Hockey said...

What I meant to say, before the liquor crossed paths with the keyboard, was sheesh!