Monday, August 14, 2023

Sunday Set...August 13, 2023


WillYouStillNeedMe
WillYouStillFeedMeVille



I will soon be sixty-four years old.

And in the last two weeks I went to two rock shows.

And, truth be told, I'm pretty darned proud that it was not to see other creaking olds crank out their long, gone golden oldie radio hits.

****

It was littler e. who invited me to the first show to see three hip young kids called 'boygenius', who are hot enough at the moment that they got the Nardwuar treatment, shown above, when they came to town.

I was touched that she invited me, pretty close to the oldest guy of certain persuasion, to be there in the crowd, albeit at a safe, comfortable distance sitting out on the PNE Amphitheatre bleachers far from the truly madding crowd in front of the stage.

I cover one of the band's tunes, a favourite of mine from their pre-fame first EP times, Ketchum, ID, on this week's Sunday Set of lullaby(ish) tunes.

The second show I went to see was at the Orpheum with the whole family and two very different crowds, almost completely Venn diagram separated. One crowd was there to see the triumphant return to Vancouver by a stroke-recovered Lucinda Williams. The other crowd was there to see a gaggle of millennial Brooklyn-transplants, Big Thief.

Ms. Williams hit the stage to play brand new tunes of a rocking variety before she talked a little about the back story of 'Drunken Angel' that was based on Blaze Foley and the other outlaws of country from days of Austin Texas yore, including Townes Van Zandt,  As such, another tune covered in this week's lullaby set is Townes' classic 'Pancho and Lefty.'

There are a couple of other old ones thrown in amongst the set's lullabies, one tune from early '90's Uncle Neil that was released at a time that was really important for C. and me as well as a classic from Mr. Springsteen's most stripped down, non-commercial album that turned out to be prescient about all that was turn out to be bleak and scary about Ronald Reagan's America...




______
I don't have a Big Thief cover tune for you yet...
Mostly because Adrianne Lenker's emotionally evocative singing and occasionally explosive electrical guitar shredding both surprised and blew me away...I guess you might say that I'm smack, dab in the middle of that Orpheum Venn diagram...
I've got to say...both COVID and creeping old(er) age helped me to (almost) forget just how invigorating and inspiring going to live music can be...


.

No comments: