Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Swim Sideways

Geographic Center of a United Cascadia
Redway California 40° 07' North; 123° 49' West
Wed 9:14am


Wasn't going to post today, but when I got to the Student Union to buy my morning bagel I traded election condolences with the young woman behind the counter and then, as she was giving me my change, the inspirational sounds of the Indigo Girls 'Closer to Fine' began blasting from the big speakers high on the wall.

And I was struck dumb by the fact that that kid will be my kid in a few years.

So now is not the time to give in to the Undertoad.

****
But still.....

Looks like those currents pulling things down at the moment are very, very strong.

And if Kerry does concede politically, here's hoping that the legal challenges proceed until things are thoroughly investigated. And perhaps more importantly, let's hope that the next generation of Mencken's, Morrows, Hersh's, and dare I say Thompson's, are out there ready to root out any true evidence of voter suppression and dirty tricks wherever they are hidden.

I'd suggest Naomi Klein for the job, but the US is not big enough for her. She's got the whole world to work on.
****

Something else became very clear to me last night as I moved around the Net commiserating with like minded folks while endlessly dragging the mouse over that bloody CSPAN map.....

and that is....

Blogistan is not enough.

We've got to do more than preach to the converted to make the change, and that includes the coming election in British Columbia.

In other words, we've gotta change direction and swim sideways, as fast and as hard as we can, to get out of this damnable Riptide that threatens to sweep us all, and I do mean all of us, out to sea.

No comments: