Saturday, July 08, 2006

Co-Opt Everything

AlphabetSoup
NoDeeDeeVille


So we were having a 'discussion' at our house the other day. My sister-in-law thought that maybe taking care of Tamagachi for a month or so should qualify her kid for a 'Pet' badge in Girl Guides.

I said that was crazy.

Why?

Because sometimes things just happen. Crazy things that you can never predict, like the lovebird getting out of the cage and eating the wicker lamp that a kid (or a Dad) should have to deal with when they screw up.

And sometimes you really mess up, and you let your dog off his leash and he chases you down busy Oak Bay Avenue and he gets hit by a car and the howls are unbelievable and you have to run back down Monterey Ave to get your Dad who picks up Scooter and carries him home and then you have to nurse him back to life for weeks but he's never the same because his front end goes one way and his back end goes the other and you never do something that stupid again in your life - ever.

And sometimes, unfortunately, things just die because they're at the end.

And because life's like that maybe that's the way it should be too.

Which brings to mind the story about CBGB's that made the rounds this week:

Famed New York rock club CBGB will be shutting its doors on Sept. 30, a month earlier than planned, owner Hilly Kristal has announced.

But he's promising to reopen CBGB in Las Vegas and said that if it's successful, he's willing to find another space in New York for a second location.

The Vegas CBGB "won't be the same size or the same shape, but I am going to have all the things that matter there," Kristal said an interview with MTV.com. "I am taking the bars with me, I am taking the stage — I'm taking the urinal that Joey [Ramone] pissed in with me. I'm going to take a lot of things — anything that makes this place CBGB."

To which I can only say - thank the goddess Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee are already gone.

And if Patti Smith goes to Vegas, well, I sure as heckfire hope that it is only to ressurrect the ghost of Oscar Zeta Acosta, or some such thing.

That's not to say I wouldn't make the trip to the desert to watch Debbie Harry do her thing in a fright wig though.

.

No comments: