Saturday, September 13, 2008

Friday Night In The WestEnd And The Doctor Is In...

CandidatesInTheHoods
LocalStumpVille

When I have to go to a function in Downtown Vancouver, especially when I'm driving the VW (notso)Microbus, I like to park in my secret spot in the WestEnd (and no, I won't tell you where it is unless, of course, you tell me where yours is).

Anyway.

Last night I had to go to a fundraising thing in the downtown core that had absolutely nothing to do with politics (although there were a few pols there of the non-federal variety).

And I was running late because one of the gradual students called just as I was getting ready to leave.

The student is in Calgary doing some realtime microscopic imaging of tumor cells moving through capillaries which, for me at least, is way more exciting than speeches, soylent green chicken and silent auctions, so I hung around for a while longer to talk about how we could get even better images, finally settling on a little chunk jelly fish protein stuck to a hunk of the tumor cell's internal skeleton that fluoresces when you zap it with a laser of a very specific wavelength.

But I digress and wax geek-speak (again).

The point is that, even though I was late for the fundraiser, I walked through the WestEnd anyway.

And here's the thing.....

There's nothing quite like walking through that part of town early on a warm Friday evening when the streets are packed with both people from all over just getting along.

And when I crossed Davie heading north up Thurlow towards the backside of St. Paul's while simultaneously trying to knot my one and only tie, I passed by that old house on the eastside of the street where Hedy Fry's campaign headquarters is located (you can't miss it for all the really big, really red signs).

And they were having an open house, with music blasting and all manner of folks, young and old, having a pretty good time. I'm pretty sure I even caught a glimpse of the good Doctor in the front room shmoozerizing.

And nowhere did I see a look of panic on anyone's face.

Not that anyone might be gaining on their candidate or anything.


_____
That last link is to make sure Bob doesn't sic the dog on me.

.

No comments: