Monday, November 03, 2014

Night Time Is The Right Time...


...To show you my new guitar.


It's a Fender Telecaster. Standard version - rhythm machine, just right for me.

It's my birthday present from the two E's and C (and thanks Mom and Pop too!) b/w summer busking money.

My fingertips are still sore from the workout I gave it yesterday afternoon as soon as I got it home.

****

Speaking of fingertips...

Was sitting in a work meeting last week and had the box open on the table some teaching website stuff done during the boring parts.

Just before we got up to go a colleague sitting next to me looked over my shoulder asked what the heck had happened to the left side of my keyboard - especially the completely blotted-out/sanded-off 'a', 's', 'd', 'f' and 't' keys.

'Fret hand', I said. Then I showed her the flattened callouses on the fingertips of said hand.

****

Was really sorry to hear that the Brothers CaramosovTalk are no more. 

Tom and Ray Magliozzi were at the top of the heap in the weekend NPR line-up forever.

 I got hooked on them more than 20 years ago when we lived down in the Excited States.

And I still listen, even to the re-runs, most Saturday mornings on KQED on-line.

Obstensibly, Tom and Ray talked about cars and car repairs.

But in reality they really talked about the crazy, mixed-up (and interesting) world every single one of their callers lives in.

Tom, who was the eldest, 77 going on 12, passed away from complications of Alzheimer's yesterday.

All of us who listened and loved the dynamic duo will be happy to step in and 'Drive like Ray's brother!' whenever the need arises.


.

7 comments:

sd said...

Wow, so sorry to hear this, I found them 30 years ago, and your right, it was much more than car talk.

sd said...

CoffeeI I meant you're.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on new guitar -- with a little help from your friends! Enjoy! Am sure you deserve it.
Signed: Grumpy Grandma

Anonymous said...

Nice one dad!
-e

RossK said...

sd--

And I'm pretty sure I'll be happy to listen to re-runs for another 30 years.

______

Thanks GG--

But...

I thought it was one of the rules of thermodynamics that Grandma's can't be grumpy.

_______

e--

Do your homework!

.

Danneau said...

T-Style players to listen to:
Danny Gatton
Roy Buchanan
Bill Kirchen
Brent Mason
Bill Frisell
GE Smith

Iused to have a '69 Tele with a rosewood fingerboard. Sadly, it's long gone. I have a G&L ASAT, nice, but I don't really like maple fingerboards. I'm looking forward to hearing the results of this in some jukebox or another, sooner rather than later.

Then Play on...

Anonymous said...

Car talk reruns forever on our roadtrips...C