Friday, December 16, 2022

Advent Jukebox, Day 16...Blue Christmas.





Blue Christmas, written by Billy Hayes and Jay Johnston, was first recorded by Doye O'Dell in 1948, nine years before the King did it.

We first recorded it, with video and everything, in the arrivals area of YVR in 2011.*

Below is the advent jukebox version...

.
_____
Thanks to Danneau
for bringing the video version back to the top of mind in the comments earlier in the jukebox...'Twas a very happy moment in holiday time.

.

4 comments:

Danneau said...

Thanks for putting this up, such a stellar version of parents reaping the harvest of musical seeds sown over the years. I recall at the time dragging Erica (my only E) into the office and how touched we both were with the general good feel embodied in the video. So this makes the short list, wait, it is the list, of Christmas films I want to see.

RossK said...

Danneau--

You're most welcome, and we're glad your E got a kick out of it.

The only Christmas film? Really?...The 1951 Alistair Sim version of A Christmas Carol/Scrooge doesn't make the cut?

.

Bruce Mitchell said...

Christmas and the airport. What a seasonal combo! You probably know this tune by Nick Lowe ‘Christmas At The Airport’ he recorded a few years after your Xmas airport video but just in case, I thought I would mention it. Nick wrote What’s So Funny About Peace, Love & Understanding’, produced ElvisCostello, The Pretenders (many others) and headed up Bands Brinsley Schwarz and Rockpile…all personal favourites. I woulda included a YouTube link if I knew how. Cute animated video. Cheers

RossK said...

Great selection Bruce...I didn't know about this tune from Mr. Cruel To Be Kind...I agree that the studio version does have a fun little animation but I couldn't resist choosing this live take, if only to get in the backing band, Los Straightjackets in Luchador masks!

.