Sunday, February 17, 2019

How The Heckfire Did I Miss...


...Pavement?



After a pretty hard-earned misspent musical youth I prided myself on keeping up all the way through gradual school.

But then, in the early '90's I started an entirely new 10,000 hour post-doc project in a big science, rock candy playground with such ferocious obsessivity that nothing in my peripheral vision, including things like the emerging high resolution version of 3-D version Wolfenstein*, could fully penetrate.

So...

Keeping up with anything musical that wasn't right in front of me on the modern rock radio station that blared  24/7 from the tissue culture room ghetto blaster just wasn't going to happen.

Especially after Bigger E. came along in the dying days of Joe Montana's Candlestick reign.

None of which is a legitimate excuse for completely missing Pavement.

And sure, it's all about Malkamus and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Kannberg, as I came to fully appreciate when I fell down the live show YouTubian rabbit hole this past weekend (which is very, very easy to do when you're grant writing).

But holy moly - Has there ever been a better hype man who contributes nothing musically and everything sonically like that degenerate horse breeder Bob Nastanovich?



________
*Which, b/w a whole lot of back deck ping pong, hooked a good number of my stable mates.


.

3 comments:

e.a.f. said...

early 90s, wasn't listening much to anything beyond the Highway men, missed these guys. they are fun, interesting.

Anonymous said...

pretenders -boots of chinese

RossK said...

eaf--

The Highwaymen!


________

Nice one, Anon-Above.


.