Saturday, November 15, 2008

I Love Voting

TheGreatLeveller
PollingBoothVille

Really.

I love the expectation.

And the trepidation.

And the sheepish looks of some.

And the righteous looks of others.

And everything in between.

I even like the lines and all the buzz that goes with them when they're there.


(there was a fantastic bursting-with-buzz line outside Laura Secord school when I was picking up Bigger E from choir practice as the fed-voting drew to a close on Oct 14th)

****

There was no line-up at my Cedar Cottage polling station when I breezed through at lunchtime today.

And everything went smoothly.

Except for two things.....

First, I took a wee exception to a boisterous 'scrutineer' even if he was just 'joking around' when he was hollering at folks that they had just been 'scrutinized' as they received their ballots (actually made a bit of a fuss about this with the folks running the show because, to my way of thinking, scrutineers should not be saying anything to any voter because it is always possible that their comments could be perceived by some poor soul as being intimidatory).

Second, the party affiliations on the ballots were so darned small, and I had forgotten to bring my reading glasses......this was not a trivial matter as I did not 'slate-all-the-way' so I actually had to pay attention...... and squint real hard...


______
Because I will be chained to my exam marking desk most of the evening, I won't be heading to any of the parties like last time.....But I will be listening to the festivities on the radio.....It's Stephen Quinn (no weekend work for the Cluffmaster, thank the goddess) with Monte Paulsen (of the Tyee's invaluable 'Hook Blog') on the Ceeb (690AM); the (notso)Giant 98 (980AM) has Mister T and FABula.....Duelin' Banjos!.....can't wait.....

.

No comments: