Saturday, July 16, 2016

At The End Of The Day...



...Nobody Wants To Be Stuck In Deep Right Field For Eleven Years.


From Dan Epstein's Rolling Stone piece on the making of the 'Doc and Daryl' documentary:

...(Judd Apatow) says that the human aspects of Gooden and Strawberry's stories were ultimately what inspired him to make the film. "I am a terrible athlete," he says, "so my sympathy is always with the team that lost or the player that is in a slump. When the Mets won in 1986, I only thought about Bill Buckner. 'How is he feeling? I hope he knows how awesome he is.' That always prevents me from getting too excited when my team wins because I am always Bill Buckner. That's the essence of what Freaks and Geeks is about — how do we survive the painful moments? I am interested in people's humanity much more than their feats of greatness."...



Sometimes I really and truly can't figure out what was so wrong with the world in the year 2000 that led to the Rovians' stealing of a presidency AND NBC's cancelling of Freaks and Geeks after only 12 episodes (fans and cable TeeVee got the last six on the air, apparently).


____
As you might have been able to predict...Mr. Epstein is one of my favourite non-poli follows on the Twitmachine.



.

4 comments:

sd said...

Baseball is my meditation.Along with playing sax and flute(it's the breathing thing). My Giants are in first place! it's a get even year! We need Baseball right now in this world such as it is.

RossK said...

sd--

Even year, indeed.

Sure is weird seeing Timmeh pitching for the Halo's this year though.


.

sd said...

Never should have cut his hair! Ha

RossK said...

Agreed.

Hey!

Maybe that's my problem also.

.