Thursday, March 16, 2023

There's A (Fairly) New Menace On The Streets These Days...


HeyDaddy'OIDon'tWannaGoDown
ToThePavementVille


This morning I had to ride down into the bowels of central Lotusland's hospital industrial complex to pick up a reagent from a colleague - an antibody, actually, that he thinks might help us further characterize a weird immune-type cell we are seeing in one of our experimental tumour progression assays.

Anyway. 

Despite the fact it is bike route-lined, I normally avoid that chunk of West 10th Avenue at all costs given how congested it is, especially on weekdays.

And this morning I  almost smacked into a kid on one of those new-fangled electronic scooters after he swooped through the intersection and came around the corner at Heather St.

Man, those things are fast, silent and, potentially, deadly.

Be careful out there everybody!


______
Truth be told,
I had an even closer call a few weeks ago when I passed through my office door one evening and came face-to-face with one of those things as it came zipping, silently, down the hallway...As you might imagine whole lot of 'Get off my lawn/Get outta my building' - type old guy muttering under the breath, and even a wee bit of yelling, ensued...
Subheader earworm got hold of your auricles?...Of course...This!


.

7 comments:

e.a.f. said...

Hopefully these methods of transportation carry some sort of insurance. If they don't, then if they hit you and your bike, they maybe able to walk away while you have life altering injuries for which there will not be comensation,.

It really is time for some game rules to be established and even licensing requirements.

Using these "vehicles" in doors simply ought not to be "on".

RossK said...

I hear you e.a.f.--

Although you could say many of the same things for bicycles - many cyclists, too, are inconsiderate and can zoom along at quite a clip, including on shared walkways.

Regarding the e-scooters, I honestly worry more about pedestrians as you often see them zooming across and/or along sidewalks, sometimes weaving in and out of two legged traffic...

Eleanor Gregory said...

It is my impression that bicycle, skateboard and scooter riding on sidewalks has increased incredibly in the last two or three years. Not a good thing when walking one's dog.

Evil Eye said...

I have also nearly ran into one when a scooter zipped through a red light and all I got was the rider flipping the bird at me when I honked my horn. I also been hit by one on the sidewalk, by another little darling, maybe 11 or 12, whose only comment was f*** you, you f***ing A**hole.

I hate to say it, but there needs to be some sort of regulation, before someone is killed.

NVG said...

Your ...LINK:

197,000 views 14 years ago
THE RAMONES LIVE CBGB 15/09/1974

The Ramones - 'I don't want go down to the basement' -- CBGB 1974

Graham said...

Don’t get me started…

RossK said...

eg--

Excellent point about the two legged + the four legged!

______

EE--

Remember the days when we had to have a license for our bikes when we were kids.

_____

NVG--

It's an ear worm thing...I've made it a little more explicit in the revised subheader...If you wind the tape back a little bit you can hear the brains of the organization at that time, Tommy, shouting that he wants to do 'Loudmouth' instead...Dee Dee and Johnny shout him down...I'm pretty sure this is one of their first shows at CBGB.


_____

Apologies Graham.

.