Wednesday, February 14, 2024

That Handedness Thing Again.


ThePowerOfThe
AmbiJabVille


In the last post we got into a bit of a discussion about the contortions a left-handed person needs to perform when they are forced to complete an exam while sitting in one of those right-handed mini-desks that are often attached to chairs in big lecture halls and/or converted gymnasiums.

Which, of course, is crummy.

But nothing like the old days when folks like my maternal grandmother were forced to switch to using their right hands for everything they did in school because being left-handed was, by definition, 'sinister'.

However...

Is there ever a situation where switching hands, or, more appropriately in this case, arms, is a good thing?

Turns out that, when it comes to multiple vaccination regimens, that just might be case.

The following if from the abstract of recent paper by a group from Portland published in the very respectable Journal of Clinical Investigation:

...In previously unexposed adults receiving an initial vaccine series with the BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 vaccine, contralateral boosting substantially increases antibody magnitude and breadth at times beyond 3 weeks after vaccination. This effect should be considered during arm selection in the context of multi-dose vaccine regimens...


Translation:

If you got your first COVID jab in one arm and then switched to the other arm for the second jab you likely made more antibody against the virus for a significant amount of time.

Imagine that!


________
Why?...Not clear yet...One suggestion in the paper is that you generate more 'memory' B lymphocytes that can generate antibody over the long haul when you get jabbed in both arms, maybe because you get twice as many draining lymph nodes involved.
Tip'OTheToque to Mike The Mad Biologist for the heads-up on the paper...


.

5 comments:

Chuckstraight said...

Interesting. I am one of the sinister ones who will pay attention for next shot.
Despite being left handed - I play guitar right handed.

Danneau said...

Very right handed, when I first picked up a guitar, I played it as a lefty until a chord chart told me that I was doing it all wrong. I switched over, but still, fifty seven years later, am mostly doing it all wrong. However, I still get a kick out of every day's practice and the odd performance. Dame Erica is very lefty and manages splendidly, with the exception of soup ladles.

GarFish said...

Lefties really get the short end of the stick when it comes to guitars, less selection and higher prices. It's enough to make you want to play a synth (not that there's anything wrong with that!) On that other topic, I am glad that I was alternating shoulders for my covid jabs.

Evil Eye said...

Sadly suffering from Dyslexia combines with a lack of coordination, I tend to be ambidextrous as I generally cannot tell my right hand from my left.

Not very good a sports except rugby where hart of the tight five, there was little need as my job was to fall on the ball and survive a shit kicking from the other forwards. Back in the day, the forwards let all the fancy stuff to the backs.

GarFish said...

Props need love too...