Friday, March 30, 2012

Sometimes A Cover Is Just A Cover...

.

....And Sometimes It Is Something More.

Way more.

In late 2009 Hansard and Irglova unveiled a 'new song' while they were on tour, a tour the E's and I saw piece of, that presaged a lot of what was to come.

And then, just a couple of weeks later this guy in his basement, Tom Meny, located somewhere in Texas, covered the thing, very nicely.

Well....

Apparently, Mr. Hansard noticed.

Because when he was playing South-by-Southwest in Austin recently he brought the very same Mr. Meny up on stage.

And together they conjured up a fusion of the Original and the Cover.

And something magical happened, on a whole lotta levels....



_____
One level of the magic, only half-realized even by the conjurers themselves here I reckon, has to be the one wherein one of Hansard's musical heroes helped give him his mojo back when he was unknown a long time ago...
Originally, I was going to title this post 'Increasing His Draw Here There And Everywhere' given that Hansard had just played Carnegie Hall doing his double-shot medley-in-same-key schtick (which, don't get me wrong, is a schtick I dig to my very core) before heading down to Austin to do his Irish schtick from his core (which I also dig, and have also Clancy Brothers -covered myself, here)...Got all that?
Sheesh...Somehow, I'm not sure this kind of stuff translates properly in linear text...I might have to do it as a pod...Or maybe I should just get out my guitar....
Oh, and by the way, if you listen to the link above where Hansard tells of meeting, and learning from his hero, I've almost got the cha-ching of the rhythm down...How?...By watching watching the 317 versions of the following about a thousand times each, that's how...

.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow is Glen Hansard a relative of Thomas Hansard, the publisher of the report of debates at the U.K. Parliament in the early 19th century.

Eleanor Gregory

RossK said...

You got me on that one Eleanor.

Somehow I doubt it based on the little bit I know about his parents and their working class milieu.

But...

Regardless, in spirit, I think he probably is.

From that perspective, this is the dead give away.

.