Sunday, December 19, 2021

The Craziest Christmas Ratio Imaginable.

MarkingEverySingle
HallVille


Last weekend Naomi Skwarna had a most interesting, if bizarre, freelance (i.e. 'special', paywalled) piece in the Globe and (NoLongerEmpire) Mail about Hallmark Christmas movies.

It was the sheer number of things and where most of them are made that floored me.

First, fourty-one of them will be broadcast this holiday season.

Second, thirty-four of them were made in Canada, many in the valley-most reaches of the Lower Mainland.

And here I thought that, as much as I still love it, three hours of holiday CapraCorn, taken in annually late on Christmas eve evening while the last of wrapping is being frantically done, can be a bit much sometimes.



_____
Personally, it's the community spirit aspect of IAWL that gets me every time, much more so than the Christmas peripherals, especially the part where Miss Davis asks George if she can have $17.50 to get by in  the wake of the run on the bank...




.

2 comments:

e.a.f. said...

I really can't stand those Hallmark christmas movies we are getting on T.V. Fiction is fine, but they go over board.

White Christmas with Bing Crosby is still my favorite Christmas movie. Second favorite is the first Scrooge movie with I think its Alister Sims, could be wrong on the actor's name, but its a great movie.

One of the objections I have to these Hallmark movies is they are "so white". They are not reflective of the population in either Canada or the U.S.A. By making their movies in Canada they can exempt themselves from American rules regarding the "colour" of actors, so they aren't only "white".

The Hallmark movies have been a steady source of work for many in the movie industry for years, here in B.C.

RossK said...

Alastair Sim, 1951...That one used to scare the beejeebuz out of my brothers and me when we were kids.


.