Wednesday, December 15, 2021

The Family Geek...Who's Zooming Who?


Don'tKnowMuchAbout
TechnologeezVille


Back in the days when our kids were small and the lab was new, I worked way too much.

But, aside from the 'Lab Olympics' we would hold for birthday parties (pipetting!  tip racking! for prizes!) and one elementary school science fair project where I went overboard and 'helped' Bigger E generate 'p' values from the assembled data, I felt pretty good about not overwhelming them with science geek stuff.

And then, when they hit their teens, I learned how much being forced to tip-toe around on egg shells during grant writing season affected them. 

Still, it wasn't like we were having year end, holiday seminars with power point presentations outlining each family member's projects, accomplishments and future goals.

Not that I know a prominent science geek family where the offspring have followed in their parents' footsteps or anything.

So...

How did I end up taking our now grown-up kids through some the lab's latest data during a Zoom call deep in the darkest days of the pandemic as shown above?

To be honest I really don't know, except to say that, honestly,  I was really excited about the data at the time and just couldn't help myself.

As you can see by the looks on the kids' faces, not so much for them.

The excitement part, I mean.

****

Interestingly, both my kids and my wife C. are deep into the arts, especially the performing variety.

Hmmmm...

Now that I think about it, maybe it's they that have influenced me more than the other way around.

I think I can live with that.



_______
If my kid's weren't so into the data, at least the journal that published some of it is...



.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Nice!

NVG said...

Well that was an interesting read (the link). I think I'll keep doing my daily walk of Upper Levels and Lonsdale to Cleveland Dam and back