Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why JK Rowling Is Not A Ladder Puller-Upper.

AllTheSenseAnd
SensibilityThatFitsVille


littler e. is working on a school project, for English I think (but I may be wrong), about how Ms. Rowling did her thing before she became rich and famous.

So we've been sniffing around the google-cache for all kinds of ephemera.

Now.

e. will never likely use the following passage, written by Ms. Rowling in 2010, because it deals with an important aspect of her life after she became very, very rich and even more famous.

Regardless, I find it damned inspiring:

"...I chose to remain a domiciled taxpayer for a couple of reasons. The main one was that I wanted my children to grow up where I grew up, to have proper roots in a culture as old and magnificent as Britain’s; to be citizens, with everything that implies, of a real country, not free-floating ex-pats, living in the limbo of some tax haven and associating only with the children of similarly greedy tax exiles.

A second reason, however, was that I am indebted to the British welfare state; the very one that Mr Cameron would like to replace with charity handouts. When my life hit rock bottom, that safety net, threadbare though it had become under John Major’s Government, was there to break the fall. I cannot help feeling, therefore, that it would have been contemptible to scarper for the West Indies at the first sniff of a seven-figure royalty cheque. This, if you like, is my notion of patriotism. On the available evidence, I suspect that it is Lord Ashcroft’s idea of being a mug..."


OK?



______


.

1 comment:

kootcoot said...

I've long admired J.K. Rowling for this attitude. I read no Harry Potter but enjoyed her "adult" novel "A Casual Vacancy" enormously.