Monday, October 17, 2011

Here's To The State Of The Golden Era....Last Line


.
Here's to the Land of the People Rising...
Who see the Golden Era....Now is cached with rust...
Who stared down the Leader...Iron fist soon turned to dust...
And who see in his Replacement a Charlatan they can't.....Trust.
Here's to the Land they've torn out the heart of...
People Rising build yourselves....Another Province we all can be a part of.


****


..."That was a tough decision we made back in 1961 to take over the B.C. Electric Railway Company and amalgamate it with B.C. Power into B.C. Hydro and Power authority. But you see, my friends, I had three thoughts in mind.

"First, I didn't want our province to depend upon foreign companies for power. Nothing against Americans, you understand, but I wanted us to be masters of our own house.

"Secondly, we wanted, as a matter of policy, the ability to expand the availability of electricity to wherever we thought best and we knew that no private company would expand unless there was a profit in it.

"Thirdly, we wanted the price of electricity to be an incentive to industry and business and fair to the public. For this to happen, B.C. Hydro had to be to be in our hands. Why? Very simple. The electorate can enforce their wishes in the ballot box much more effectively than they can affect decisions in some faraway corporate boardroom.

"Now, my friends, I wasn't born yesterday. Under Gordon Campbell, B.C. Hydro is doomed. By government edict, it can't produce new sources of power, it's had its transmission lines taken away, and it's forced to pay huge amounts for private power, which they must sell at a loss. This means it has to service its capital debt of $7 billion without the revenue to do so.

"My friends, I'm pretty proud of the record of B.C. Hydro and my friends in the Kootenays paid a big environmental price for what I did, but that was the only environmental price that would have to be paid. I look now and see how wasteful citizens have become, how generators need modernizing and how new generators can be installed. Moreover, I made the deal that B.C. would sell power into the United States but that they could take the power instead of the money if they wanted. Why isn't Mr. Campbell doing that instead of putting the production of power into out of province hands?"...



The Wacky One, In Repose...
On One of the Ferries We All Built


_____
Big Audible Dyn-O-mite version comin' down the track, if a little slowly...It's the Key that's killin' me...Do I go with the People's (and the Ochsian) 'C' or do I attempt the more vocally acrobatic Vedderized 'G'?... Clearly I'm having a hard time laying off the latter, which, of course, is the problem...Stay tuned for the MP3...

.

No comments: