Saturday, April 25, 2020

Our Saturday Pick...Weekend Edition, Saturday.


ReminiscingBy
RadioVille


I was a post-doc when we lived in Berkeley, a long time ago now.

During the week I would ride and/or walk my bike up the hill, above, to the lab.

But on the weekends I would usually drive given that C. didn't need the car for work.

On Saturdays I would often go in early to smell the eucalyptus and get my 3-dimensional tissue culture done, which was pioneered in the lab where I was lucky enough to be learning my trade.

And, invariably, I would set up the ghetto blaster on the bench next to me so that I could listen to Scott Simon, who's still at it, host NPR's Weekend Edition, Saturday.

It's an all over the map kind of 'news-and-more' show that I think reader E.G. would really enjoy...



____
Even way back then Mr. Simon seemed like a bit of an all-knowing, if gentle and jokey, father figure...Weirdly, it turns out that he's only a few years older than I am.
One of the reasons to get in early on Saturdays was to later get out early so that we could take off and do something fun on Saturday afternoons...One of our favourite places to go was the Point Reyes National Seashore.
The image above is of Strawberry Canyon...The lab was/is about halfway up...It was an exciting place to be, with people from all over the world...My boss back then just won a big award, at least in part because of the work we were doing at the time.


.

2 comments:

Eleanor Gregory said...

Thanks for the reminder about the NPR's weekend edition. I used to listen to it a lot (when I was preparing for PEO). I think I'll start listening again.

RossK said...

e.g.--

Hasn't changed a bit.

.