Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Things I Learned Today....

TimeTimeTimeTimeTimeTime
TickinInMyHeadVille


Academia Abhors A Vacuum...
Five, count 'em, five!...Zoom meetings today, which meant that I didn't actually start working on anything substantive until after 3 o'clock....And here's a slightly weirdish thing about this Zoom business...Because you don't actually get up and walk to a new place in between get togethers it's very easy to forget to make a trip to the washroom until it's too late...

The Kids (In The Lab) Are Alright...
Pretty much everything we do is 'wet bench' experimentation and, because we don't work on anything virus-related, we are shut down tight for the duration. This is really tough on the gradual students and post-docs in the lab because they can't generate any new data...However, during this morning's lab meeting two of those very same whippersnappers mentioned that they were takin advantage of the extra time to teach each other 'R', which is a very useful skill for anyone who analyzes data for a living to have, indeed...


Podcasts Have Ruined CBC Radio One For Me...
Seriously, why should I tune in to bland 'pitch-it-to-the-execs-to-win' shows with an angle that don't have the guts, or give their audience enough credit, to really dive deep into the crevices of said angle when I can find the latter, in spades, just by tapping my phone?...



.

1 comment:

e.a.f. said...

I looked at the R stuff. my question is if I learn it all will it halp me figure out why the computer in the new washer keeps breaking? No, o.k. it was worth a tryl

Itw good to read all is well and you and the lab kids are contuining to make head way during this time.

Just remember to wash your hands and stay safe.