Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Why Would The Globe & Mail Do Such A Thing?

AllKindsOfSlaggingAndPilingOnGoin'Down
NoLongerEmpireVille



So.

Lots of folks around the Bloggodome are wondering why the Globe & Mail would go after Heather Mallick so hard, with bombast from Margaret Wente and an Editorial pile-on as well.

Well, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure.

But I think it is worth remembering that when Ms. Mallick left the very same Globe & Mail in late 2005 it was not because of something she did to them, but rather the other way around.

I wrote about it at the time, but the Divine Ms. Z had the real goods:

Heather Mallick gave up her Saturday Focus column at the Globe and Mail today because of a dispute over last week's piece.....

{snippety doo-dah}

As she (Ms. Mallick) emailed me (Ms. Zerbias) this afternoon (I added the links for those who want to understand the full context of her resignation.):

"My reason was that I had asked that a column be pulled last Friday and the Globe refused.

I had written a column on the Guardian's deplorable and grotesque libel of Noam Chomsky. The handling editor then said I had to repeat the libel. I said that it was libellous to repeat a libel, as any editor should know. I waited to see the final version (I had my editor's word that I always get to see a final version) and on Friday morning was horrified to find that the column had gone to the printer without my having seen it. I said pull it. The Globe refused.

My column runs Sundays on rabble.ca, a great website. I sent them my original version.

That's the dispute.

I am a great admirer of Prof. Chomsky. I think he is the modern Orwell and the moral point mattered a great deal to me, more than anything. Obviously."


OK?


______
By the way: We're still collecting names for those who would like to be members of the Mallick Bloggodomic Syndicate which is explained here (just ignore the rousing rabble's rambunctious discussion).

.

No comments: