Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My Morning Ride.


AllYourDensifications'R
UsVille


One thing I've been noticing in the vicinity of Cambie while riding around these days is how fast the houses go downhill once the land assemblies are, well, assembled.

In this one, there were still kids living in the place in the foreground in July.

Granted, the landlord had clearly started to let things go before then, but still...


______
Scorecard:
Good - The great Eastern at my back for all 13 kilometres this morning
Bad - The long black clouds coming down with that easterly.
Ugly - My rushing a traffic circle to gain a little speed to get up out of the Discovery trough on 12th avenue and almost paying for it...Darned hard to hear the hybrids coming sometimes.


.

6 comments:

Eleanor Gregory said...

I have been very sad about this particular house succumbing to the bulldozer. This house is an example of the distinctive "moderne" architecture that was fashionable in the 1950s and 1960s. There are a few more moderne houses in the vicinity.

Anonymous said...

My rushing a traffic circle to gain a little speed to get up out of the Discovery trough on 12th avenue and almost paying for it...Darned hard to hear the hybrids coming sometimes.


I have the same problem with the 'hybrid' cyclists going from curb side of the lane of the street then cutting hard against the roundabout wall to save time ---- not keeping to the right

RossK said...

EG--

Was very sad, indeed, to see that place slide...The kids who lived in there in the end (most of them landscapers I think) sure did seem to love it though...They had a lot of barbeques.

_____

Anon--

I hear you.

I do not zoom by anybody, on either side at lights stops or circles. I'm really very courteous and careful...This particular issue took place on a very quiet residential street crossing, but it was still completely my fault as the driver got there first...Had to stop with some skidding.

.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for hearing me. Anon.

BTW if motor vehicles are required to have a HORN to sound off for safety reasons, why are cyclists exempted?

RossK said...

Anon--

They aren't.

Police make regular checks for bells on bike routes and will hand out tickets - I've seen them do so, both in Richmond and the City of Vancouver.



.

scotty on denmanc said...

Oh Jeez, Ross! Do be careful! I know: those hybrids are creepy-freaky-silent---and I'm a pedestrian!

Yeah, I see a place in its throes and I just want to rush it with my pry-bar and sledge and take it apart---like a compulsive obsession ( I know this because doing something like that---and I've had quite a bit of experience at it---is well beyond me now).

I hate seeing good wood (almost always found in pre-70s houses) going to waste, but these days you can buy a stud for two-and-a-half bucks…hafta work pretty fast to make salvage worth it---like inhumanly fast.

Be safe out there!